About 5:50 pm on the evening of the 20th March 1876, at Stagsden Side-gate in Bedfordshire, a gamekeeper William Robinson, discovered a black parcel hidden in the undergrowth. He inquisitively prodded at the cloth-type wrapping with his foot. Feeling there was something in the parcel, he took a closer look and found the body of a young child. Hurrying to the village he raised the alarm. Shortly afterwards the local police attended the site along with Dr Swinton from the nearby village of Turvey.