e2bn E2BN
Victorian Crime and Punishment
HomePrisoner case studiesPrisoners19th Century JusticeTeachers Area

More case studies...

Case Study Homepage | The Case | Activities | Reports

Sarah Dazley - Murder

Sarah Dazley - Extract 2 from Newspaper Report on the Inquest - Medical Evidence

Newspaper report, April 1843

On Monday, an inquest was held at The Chequers Inn, Wrestlingworth, on the body of the deceased William Dazley, which had been disinterred early on Monday morning, and the coffin placed in the aisle of the parish church. The inquiry was attended by the magistrates in the neighbourhood…

On the arrival of the coroner, and the jury having been sworn, the lid of the coffin was removed and the body identified as being that of William Dazley.

Messrs Hurst and Hedley then proceeded to make the necessary post mortem examination, and the whole of the alimentary canal from the throat with the intestine, was removed and placed in a jar, and sealed with the Coroner's Seal, and then forwarded to the infirmary at Bedford, for examination the next day in the presence of the Coroner.

The surface of the body was in a state of decomposition… They opened the chest and abdomen, and found the muscles in a greater state of preservation than was expected from the length of time it was said to have been interred. The viscera of the chest(as far as they could judge) had been in a healthy state; the stomach and the intestines were of a redder colour than is ordinarily observed, more particularly the stomach.

The inquest, to give time to the professional men t o make their examination of the intestinal tube, was adjourned by the Coroner, to the following Friday, at ten o'clock, to be held at the same place; and the jurymen were allowed to depart. Blunden, the Superintendent of police of the Biggleswade Division, in which Wrestlingworth lays, was directed by the Coroner to proceed to London, after the widow, and apprehend her.

William Tear, a carrier, having met Samuel Stepping on Saturday in Smithfield, it was supposed that the fugitives were gone to the residence of the woman's brother, Ed Reynolds, who lives at Broken Wharf, Upper Thames Street, London.

A letter was received at Potton, where another brother, John Reynolds, a tailor, resides, from the brother in London, saying that Sarah had arrived safe, which intelligence was immediately communicated to Superintendent Blunden, In London, who was assisted by Hugely, a police constable of London, in alternately watching the return of the guilty party, she being gone out.

The next day after the adjournment of the inquest, the Coroner, Mr Hurst, and Mr Hedley attended at the Infirmary, Bedford, and the analysis of the alimentary canal was proceeded with, and white arsenic was found of considerable quantity.

This information is also available as a word document - see below.


Back to Sarah Dazley - Murder homepage