In which ways does the life of Lucy Lowe show the problems faced by poor women during the 19th century?
Child murder - the case of Lucy Lowe: Task 4
From the evidence before and during the trial:
Why would Lucy want to leave her job?
Read Lucy's letter to her employer, Mrs Kirkman. Find phrases that show you:
- Lucy was happy as a servant to Mrs Kirkman and
- Mrs Kirkman was kind to her and to her family.
What problems did Lucy face between leaving the Kirkman's and her arrest?
Why would it be difficult for Lucy to walk a long distance at that time?
Look at the map showing Lucy's journey
to and from Stagsden:
Were the jury right to recommend mercy instead of execution?
- How close was Stagsden to Turvey, the railway station? How would Lucy travel from there to the spot where she abandoned the baby?
- Where did she go after she abandoned the baby?
- How would she get back to Bedford?
- Why might Lucy have chosen to take the baby to that place?
From the evidence of Henry Riddy (Lucy's father):
- Why was Lucy on her own when the prison file says that she was married?
- How did Lucy support herself? Could she have had her children to live with her? Where were they? If she had another child, could she care for it herself?
- Lucy said to the landlady that she would ask her sister to look after the baby. How likely do you think it was that her sister or parents would have done so? Support your opinion from the evidence.
From the evidence of Mrs Hull and Mrs Kirkman:
How did Lucy's family feel about her actions?
- Was Lucy happy and secure working for Mrs Kirkman?
- Could she be sure that Mrs Kirkman would keep her on if she had a baby to look after?
- From the evidence of the surgeon, Dr Swinson:
- How long had Lucy cared for the child before its death?
- Why, then, did Lucy feel that she had to get rid of the child? Is it possible that she hoped at first someone would care for it but realised that this wouldn't happen?
From the first
letters written by Lucy asking to be released, and the letter of the Vicar of Stagsden to the Home Office, (provide link???)
Back to Lucy Lowe alias Ellis - Child Murder homepage
- Who agreed to give her a home?